Environmental Assessment Office
Procedural Guides and Templates
- Guidelines for Preparing Project Descriptions (2016)
This document provides guidelines for proponents preparing a Project Description for projects that are or will likely be reviewable under the British Columbia Environmental Assessment Act
- Guidance on Requesting a Certificate Exemption(2016)
This document describes (1) the process for proponent to request an exemption from certificate requirements under s. 10(1)(b) of the Environmental Assessment Act, and (2) EAO's review and decision making process in considering the request.
- Exemption Order Template (2017)
- Valued Components Guidelines (2013)
- Application Information Requirements Template (2015)
The Application Information Requirements describes the information that must be provided by a proponent in an application for an Environmental Assessment Certificate. The document is also used to determine whether an application contains all the necessary information and therefore may proceed to the review stage of the environmental assessment.
- What's Changed 2015
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Tailings Management Requirements for Mining Projects
- Historic Places in British Columbia: Guidelines for Natural Resource Project Proponents
- Meeting Statutory Requirements under CEAA 2012 Paragraph 5(1)(c) (2015)
- Assessment of Effects to Section 5(1)(c) (2015)
- Meeting Statutory Requirement under CEAA Paragraphs 5(1)(a), 5(1)(b), 5(2)(a), and 5(2)(b) (2015)
- Environmental Assessment Certificate Policy (2017)
The Environmental Assessment Certificate Policy (EAC Policy), explains EAO's approach to drafting conditions in environmental assessment certificates, amended certificates, and in orders issued under s. 10(1)(b) of the Environmental Assessment Act (i.e. exemption orders).
- Environmental Assessment Certificate Policy – What's New
- Abridged Environmental Assessment Certificate Policy
- Template Environmental Assessment Certificate
- Guidelines for EA Applications and Electronic Files (2015)
- Guidance on Seeking an Amendment to an Environmental Assessment Certificate (2017)
This document provides guidance for certificate holders who wish to amend their environmental assessment certificate.
- Amended Certificate Template (2017)
- Guidance on Requesting a Certificate Extension (2016)
This document provides guidance for certificate holders who wish to apply for a one-time extension of their environmental assessment certificate.
- Guidance on Substantially Started Determinations (2016)
This document explains how EAO makes substantially started determinations under s.18 of the Environmental Assessment Act and describes a certificate holder's roles and responsibilities in the process.
- Policy on Public Comments (2011)
Compliance and Enforcement:
- EAO Compliance & Enforcement Policy & Procedures (2015)
Other Resource Documents:
- Cumulative effects framework and environmental assessment (2017)
- Cumulative effects in EAO-led environmental assessments (2017)
- Policy Bulletin for Groundwater Users (2016)
- Development of Major Projects Within the Natural Resource Sector: An Overview of BC's Regulatory Processes (2015)
- Common Issues and Commitments Report for Secure Landfills (2009)
- Cumulative Effects Framework
- Environmental Mitigation Policy and Procedures